There’s really not a lot to say about this site other than once upon a time it was a blog, and now it hosts my podcast. The site represents the views and musical tastes of me, Scrappy McGowan alone.
There is a professional wrestling referee who is also named Scrappy McGowan. I am not him.
Anyone who is trying to figure out who Scrappy McGowan is, it’s not that hard. Just dig a bit.
All Joking aside, here are some tidbits about me:
- I started my broadcasting career in 1983 at the much loved radio station WQAX in Bloomington, Indiana.
- I hate flying but love trains. One year I took a cross country train trip on the California Zephyr. It was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.
- John Coltrane is my musical hero. I finally understood the nature of God while listening to Coltrane when I was 17.
- I spend a lot of time learning from the teachings of Pema Chödrön and Thich Nhat Hanh. They are the bomb diggity
- I was raised in the town of Croton-on-Hudson, NY. Croton spills down to the shores of the Hudson River at the widest point of any river in America. If you don’t believe me you can look that fact up on scrappypedia.
- My favorite poet is Mary Oliver. Her poem The Wild Geese just might be the most beautiful poem ever written.
- I am passionate about politics. My political heroes are Lynn Rivers, and Shirley Chisolm. I have been fortunate enough to study Government with Lynn. If she ever runs for congress again I will drop everything so I can work on her campaign.
- Okay, this one is embarrassing – my biggest musical guilty pleasure is listening to the Bee Gees. I don’t mean the disco era Bee Gees that everyone thinks of when they hear the name. I dig the late 60’s and early 70’s post-Beatle heavy on the harmony Bee Gees who could stick those harmonies like Nadia Comaneci could stick a dismount.
- My ultimate musical dream is to own a Rickenbacker Electric 12-string. However, I recently bought a Dean Electric 12-string. Now I get to jangle to my hearts content.
- My favorite color is purple.
- I have two kids, a daughter who is an actress living in Brooklyn and a son who attending college in Portland, OR. Both my kids are lovely and creative human beings.
- I am married to a beautiful and brilliant sculptor and she is not only my best friend and companion, but she keeps me from making a fool of myself most of the time.